More blood on ICE’s hands: Hiu Lui Ng’s story

Today the NY Times published yet another horrifying article about an ICE detainee’s death.  Hiu Lui Ng, an immigrant from Hong Kong who had been living in the U.S. since he came over at the age of 17 in 1992, died in custody last week after months of negligence and living in excruciating pain.

He was 17 when he came to New York from Hong Kong 1992 with his parents and younger sister, eyeing the skyline like any newcomer. Fifteen years later, Hiu Lui Ng was a New Yorker: a computer engineer with a job in the Empire State Building, a house in Queens, a wife who is a United States citizen and two American-born sons.

But when Mr. Ng, who had overstayed a visa years earlier, went to immigration headquarters in Manhattan last summer for his final interview for a green card, he was swept into immigration detention and shuttled through jails and detention centers in three New England states.

In April, Mr. Ng began complaining of excruciating back pain. By mid-July, he could no longer walk or stand. And last Wednesday, two days after his 34th birthday, he died in the custody of [ICE] in a Rhode Island hospital, his spine fractured and his body riddled with cancer that had gone undiagnosed and untreated for months. […]

In federal court affidavits, Mr. Ng’s lawyers contend that when he complained of severe pain that did not respond to analgesics, and grew too weak to walk or even stand to call his family from a detention pay phone, officials accused him of faking his condition. They denied him a wheelchair and refused pleas for an independent medical evaluation.

Instead, the affidavits say, guards at the Donald W. Wyatt Detention Facility in Central Falls, R.I., dragged him from his bed on July 30, carried him in shackles to a car, bruising his arms and legs, and drove him two hours to a federal lockup in Hartford, where an immigration officer pressured him to withdraw all pending appeals of his case and accept deportation. […]

Officials have given no explanation why they took Mr. Ng to Hartford and back on the same day. But the lawyers say the grueling July 30 trip appeared to be an effort to prove that Mr. Ng was faking illness, and possibly to thwart the habeas corpus petition they had filed in Rhode Island the day before, seeking his release for medical treatment.

The federal judge who heard that petition on July 31 did not make a ruling, but in an unusual move insisted that Mr. Ng get the care he needed. On Aug. 1, Mr. Ng was taken to a hospital, where doctors found he had terminal cancer and a fractured spine. He died five days later. […]

In 2001, a notice ordering him to appear in immigration court was mistakenly sent to a nonexistent address, records show. When Mr. Ng did not show up at the hearing, the judge ordered him deported. By then, however, he was getting married, and on a separate track, his wife petitioned Citizenship and Immigration Services for a green card for him — a process that took more than five years. Heeding bad legal advice, the couple showed up for his green card interview on July 19, 2007, only to find enforcement agents waiting to arrest Mr. Ng on the old deportation order. […]

Mr. Ng seemed healthy until April, his sister said, when he began to complain of severe back pain and skin so itchy he could not sleep. He was then in the Vermont jail, a 20-bed detention center with no medical staff run by the county sheriff’s office. Seeking care, he asked to be transferred back to Wyatt, a 700-bed center with its own medical staff, owned and operated by a municipal corporation.

In a letter to his sister, Mr. Ng recounted arriving there on July 3, spending the first three days in pain in a dark isolation cell. Later he was assigned an upper bunk and required to climb up and down at least three times a day for head counts, causing terrible pain. His brother-in-law B. Zhao appealed for help in e-mail messages to the warden, Wayne Salisbury, on July 11 and 16.

“I was really heartbroken when I first saw him,” Mr. Zhao wrote Mr. Salisbury after a visit. “After almost two weeks of suffering with unbearable back pain and unable to get any sleep, he was so weak and looked horrible.”

The nursing director replied that Mr. Ng had been granted a bottom bunk and was receiving painkillers and muscle relaxants prescribed by a detention center doctor.

But his condition continued to deteriorate. Once a robust man who stood nearly six feet and weighed 200 pounds, his relatives said, Mr. Ng looked like a shrunken and jaundiced 80-year-old.

“He said, ‘I told the nursing department, I’m in pain, but they don’t believe me,’ ” his sister recalled. “ ‘They tell me, stop faking.’ ”

Soon, according to court papers, he had to rely on other detainees to help him reach the toilet, bring him food and call his family; he no longer received painkillers, because he could not stand in line to collect them. On July 26, Andy Wong, a lawyer associated with Mr. Cox, came to see the detainee, but had to leave without talking to him, he said, because Mr. Ng was too weak to walk to the visiting area, and a wheelchair was denied.

On July 30, according to an affidavit by Mr. Wong, he was contacted by Larry Smith, a deportation officer in Hartford, who told him on a speakerphone, with Mr. Ng present, that he wanted to resolve the case, either by deporting Mr. Ng, or “releasing him to the streets.” Officer Smith said that no exam by an outside doctor would be allowed, and that Mr. Ng would not be given a wheelchair.

Mr. Ng told his lawyer he was ready to give up, the affidavit said, “because he could no longer withstand the suffering inside the facility,” but Officer Smith insisted that Mr. Ng would first have to withdraw all his appeals.

The account of his treatment clearly disturbed the federal judge, William E. Smith of United States District Court in Providence, who instructed the government’s lawyer the next day to have the warden get Mr. Ng to the hospital for an M.R.I.

The results were grim: cancer in his liver, lungs and bones, and a fractured spine. “ ‘I don’t have much time to live,’ ” his sister said he told her in a call from Rhode Island Hospital in Providence.

She said the doctor warned that if the family came to visit, immigration authorities might transfer her brother. Three days passed before the warden approved a family visit, she said, after demanding their Social Security numbers. Late in the afternoon of Aug. 5, as Mr. Ng lay on a gurney, hours away from death and still under guard, she and his wife held up his sons, 3 and 1.

“Brother, don’t worry, don’t be afraid,” Ms. Zhao said, repeating her last words to him. “They are not going to send you back to the facility again. Brother, you are free now.”

Reading this almost brought me to tears.  I’m terrified to think about how many other people–not just ICE detainees, but prisoners in general–are suffering under similar circumstances (remember Gina Muniz?) in our hateful, broken system.


About Melissa

I love donuts. Chocolate iced, hold the sprinkles.
This entry was posted in government fuckery, healthcare fuckery, immigration, prison system, torture and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to More blood on ICE’s hands: Hiu Lui Ng’s story

  1. JAMES says:

    It is incomprehensible that this tragic event could have taken place in the United States today. I am both angered and saddened immeasurably by this story. How could such a thing have possibly happened? Similar occurances have no doubt taken place without being reported in the news.

  2. Dave says:

    A friend of mine worked in New York City in the Empire State building, and Mr. Ng was an IT person at the same company. Mr. Ng was described as “a super nice guy” who “would help you with anything.” What an awfyul, tragic experience. How cruel can people be? We expect this to happen in China, not here.

  3. Arasmus says:

    Here is a link to the petition for a write of habeas corpus:

  4. Arasmus says:

    Here is a link to the Delicious bookmark with which information relevant to Hiu Lui Ng is being gathered. Please use this bookmark to tag any discussion of this case that you find.

  5. Sam says:

    When I started to read the NY Times article, I thought it happened in China.

  6. Ah, America, land of the free. This story is a disgusting symptom of what we have lost and are continuing to lose. Apparently a nation can be treated pretty horribly before the people get fed up enough to do something about it. I’m sad about our apathy, even when this news is available to us.

  7. Heather says:

    How is it that criminals, charged with federal offenses and who are deemed dangerous to the American Public are treated better than “immigrants” who are awaiting trial and who have no charges placed upon them as of yet?

    And how is it that we have allowed such a system to be privatized? This means that the more people they “detain,” the more money they make. It also means that the goal will always be to detain more and more people at the cheapest price (eg. through low quality food and denial of medical care) to please both their pocketbooks – and investor’s.

    A system like this should not be for profit. If it wasn’t one feels that only those who truly need to be held (because they are seen as dangerous or a flight risk) would be – while others, like Hiu Lui Ng, would be sent home to await trial, and possible deportation in a civilized manner.

  8. Jezebella says:

    ICE just visited us here in South Mississippi. 600 people from my county are now in detention; how many do you think will survive?

  9. B. says:

    Words can not explain how much this saddended me…I am so heart broken by this story that I just can not stop my tears. Such a horrifying story to be in the United States…and be treated so horribly. I can’t even begin to imagine how his wife is feeling, how his family is feeling. He has 2 children….1 and 3….how does his wife explain this to their children? So much pain.

    My husband was handcuffed in front of my 3 year old son because of a similar circumstance. The officers had no regard for him or me. I understand some of the pain of what the family is going through….my son still has nightmares of his daddy being handcuffed and has not seen him in over a year now. But to have to explain to him that they killed his dad would be something else…

    We have lost America. This man has lost his life & his liberty.

    How can we allow another human being to treat another human being like this and let them get away with it? It is giving them the right to mistreat, torture, and murder.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s